"WORDS ARE, IN MY NOT-SO-HUMBLE OPINION, OUR MOST INEXHAUSTIBLE SOURCE OF MAGIC. CAPABLE OF BOTH INFLICTING INJURY, AND REMEDYING IT." ~ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Friday, October 2, 2009

Project Jane

The novel I'm working on doesn't have an official title yet. I tried to give it a working title (when I submitted two chapters to a workshop class) but I hated it. So, I'm currently referring to it (to myself) as Project Jane. Aka PJ.

The main character's name is Jane, duh. I'm not sure how much I am supposed to give away, or put out on the World Wide Web, but here's the general idea behind my story:

I'm working on a young adult fiction - the main characters are high school students who live in Annapolis. A few of them develop some exceptional abilities in the face of an ancient evil. So obviously fantasy is one of the genres the piece will fit into. Of course there's also a major romance and adventure, and some fun and twisty teenage angst and drama. I'm hoping this will be the first in a trilogy - or maybe four-book series. I'd really like to be finished with the first draft by late November, but we'll see.

Some current thoughts:
I am really, really passionate about the storylines I've got running so far! I'm pretty much obsessively in love with the few otherworldly elements I've incorporated/planned for.  Don't worry... There are no vampires, or werewolves, or wizards involved (as much as I love those things).

I know the word "fantasy" scares some people - "I'm just really not into those types of books," I've heard more than a few times. But give this book a chance! It's set in real world Annapolis, with real social dilemmas and has a real focus on character relationships and growth.  It's not on a different planet, there are no little blue people running around, and it's not based on weird (cool in my opinion) futuristic scientific technology.  I definitely think that there will be a place for everyone's enjoyment within the pages I write.

(Side note - let me be clear though, I do happen to love, love, love sci-fi and fantasy.  Orson Scott Card, Sara Douglass, Carol Berg, George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss... my list of favorite authors almost all fall in that realm!)

OK, it's 12:30 am as I type these very words, and it's time for me to get back to Jane and her current crazy quandary!  (I've found that writing in the late night hours works best for me.)

me

2 comments:

  1. I was stalking you and Carol (yep, stalky stalky) and going through your archives of 2009 entries, and saw that this one has no comments.

    I am sad about this.

    So, I'll fix it!

    I love looking back at entries I wrote in my blog when I was working on the first draft of something, especially after it's already been through some revision or CPs or whatnot. It makes me get kind of happy, like "omg, I did it!" Especially with the first novel.

    Of course, all my entries with the first novel are private, and consist of things like "I just finished chapter 16. It sucks." :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog following links from somewhere and I'm so happy to see that someone else gets excited about writing YA fantasy (other than previously established writers). I'll definitely pick up your book as soon as it's published. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Yay! I love when you have things to add :)